Mike Abbott focuses his practice on corporate and finance law for clients ranging from startups and emerging growth clients to Fortune 500 companies.
Finance and Restructuring. Mike provides integrated and strategic legal counsel on the full range of financial matters—complex financial transactions and corporate debt restructurings. He recently:
- Represented an international corporate borrower in the negotiation and structuring of a $100 million syndicated credit facility secured primarily with intellectual property assets
- Represented a national convenience store chain in the negotiation and structuring of a $250 million syndicated credit facility
- Represented the agent and arranger in a $75 million club credit facility
- Represented a distressed manufacturing company in the restructuring of its operations
- Represented a quasi-municipal entity in the restructuring of its public debt obligations
- Represented bond counsel in a matter related to a default of public debt obligations
- Represented a bank holding company in a complex restructuring and reverse stock split
- Represented various lenders and borrowers in restructurings and workouts
Mergers & Acquisitions. Mike has represented buyers, sellers and institutional investors in many different types of M&A transactions. He recently:
- Represented a global media company in its stock acquisition of a magazine and Web company
- Represented a manufacturing company in its asset sale to a strategic buyer
- Represented a strategic buyer in a leveraged buyout of a services company
Emerging Companies and Venture Capital. Mike represents entrepreneurs, fast-growth companies and their investors at all stages of an enterprise's life. He recently:
- Represented a startup private equity fund on its formation and continues to represent it on its acquisition of portfolio companies.
- Represented a startup Web-based consumer financial services company on its formation and several rounds of equity investments and continues to represent it, providing general corporate advice and development and negotiation of partnership agreements.
General Corporate Counseling. Mike is regularly involved in advising companies and financial institutions on general corporate matters, including corporate governance, contract preparation and negotiation, financing issues, restructurings, and ongoing strategic, transactional and regulatory matters. He also serves as counsel to the CFA Society of Iowa.
- The Best Lawyers in America — Financial Services Regulation Law, 2012-13
- Des Moines Business Record — Forty Under 40, 2012
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Polk County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Volunteer Lawyers Network
- United Way of Central Iowa — Income Cabinet Member
- Greater YMCA Camp — Board Member
U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of Iowa, Hon. Paul J. Kilburg, 2005
- Mike is a guest lecturer at Drake University, where he speaks on turnarounds and restructurings to MBA students
- Attracting Capital: What is the Current Environment?
The Entrepreneurship Institute: Chicago President's Symposium, October 4, 2012
- A Swing and a Miss: U.S. Supreme Court's Attempt to Resolve the Confusion Over the Proper Evidentiary Burden for Employment Discrimination Litigation in Costa v. Desert Palace
30 J. Corp. L. 573, 2005